While it’s unlikely that many people look forward to visiting the dentist, for some the experience can be downright frightening. Crippling anxiety about the dentist’s chair may keep otherwise healthy patients from getting the dental care they need. If you’ve put off visiting the dentist, sedation techniques may be right for you. To learn more, please contact Drs. Chin & Pharar Dentistry at 702-445-7075 to schedule an appointment with our Las Vegas sedation dentists.
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is an approach to dentistry in which you are administered a sedative during your dental procedure. The dentist performs all of the necessary work while you are deeply relaxed, and though you’re conscious the whole time and able to communicate, you might not remember the process when it’s over! Such an approach offers many advantages to patients who are fearful of the dental office:
- If you avoid getting the dental care you need because you’re afraid of the dentist’s chair, sedation can help you maintain your oral health despite your fears.
- Even though you remain conscious during your dental procedure, the medication helps calm your nerves and subdues your sensitivity so that you don’t feel any pain.
- The medication also suppresses your gag reflex, so our Las Vegas sedation dentists are able to perform their work much more safely and efficiently when you are relaxed.
Patients who aren’t necessarily fearful of the dentist often select sedation to make certain kinds of procedures more comfortable. A patient who doesn’t mind routine cleanings might opt for sedation during a root canal, for example.
What does sedation dentistry involve?
Our Las Vegas patients can benefit from two types of sedation methods.
- Oral conscious sedation is the simplest and most common sedation option we offer. You take a pill about an hour before your procedure, and when it’s time for our dentists to start their work, you will be completely relaxed. Though you remain awake and able to communicate and respond to instructions, you’ll feel very calm. Note that if you receive this kind of sedative, you’ll need to arrange a ride to and from our office as the medication will not have worn off when you’re ready to go ho
- Intravenous (IV) conscious sedation involves an IV drip of anesthetic that delivers the sedating agents directly into your bloodstream. This offers our licensed dental anesthesiologists more flexibility in monitoring and adjusting your sedation level. Because the sedatives used in IV sedation are faster acting than the orally administered medications, you’ll return to your normal state of awareness more quickly.
Sedation dentistry is very safe, and dentists across the country and around the world have successfully treated patients with sedation techniques for years. It is a safe and effective way to get the dental care you need, comfortably and conveniently. To learn more about sedation dentistry and to arrange your next appointment with one of our Las Vegas sedation dentists, please contact Drs. Chin & Pharar today at 702-445-7075.